Thursday 14 July 2011

Thing 4

Think this will be brief as I'm lagging behind a bit!

Twitter:
I've had a Twitter account since 2009 (quite proud to be one of the first 22 Million!), but used it very little until recently. I feel, as with all on-line social networking, you need to persevere in order to build up a following, or even an interesting set of people to follow...who don't Tweet too much! I hate it when my timeline fills up with one person's ramblings (that's why I stopped following Stephen Fry who ordinarily I think is great)! So I will continue to read about the lives of the people I follow, pick up on interesting developments professionally, and hope that others will be entertained or informed by my tweets occasionally.

RSS feeds:
Never really been interested in news feeds personally, although I did include a few on our Library Intranet pages. Now I'm wondering how I could have got on without a Google Reader! It's great to be able to view all the bloggers I follow together for one thing,  and I suspect that I will add more feeds progressively. I'm not too keen on the look of the Readers pages, they're very busy, a bit boring visually and quite untidy, but it's good to be able to scroll through a timeline of your favourite blogs. I like that it "marks as read" as you scroll through.

Pushnote:
Well I've opened an account...and that I suspect is as far as it will go! I can see the value, but aren't there already lots of ways of sharing on-line stuff that you like. I'm not sure that adding a star rating is enough of an inducement for me to use it much, but we shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment